home about youtube links contact
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing...kissing a lot. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls."
Audrey Hepburn


Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Vintage Style at Work!


Iam often told by 'non participating' fans of vintage style that 'I just don't have time to get dressed up every day'. Far be it from me to tell you to make retro style your every day look if you don't truly WANT to, but as to this whole 'time' factor? Pshaw!! You can easily carry your love of 1940's/'50's fashion into your work week by adding just a few key elements and a few spare minutes to your current routine.

Yes, you'll have to plan ahead. And by that I mean you'll have to set your hair the night before, just like our grannies used to do! Once you get used to sleeping in a set, it will become second nature and you'll look as if you took hours to get ready, when in actuality the whole look (including makeup) took you less than twenty minutes. I can almost guarantee you that the admiring looks you receive, coupled with the boost of confidence you'll feel, will make it well worth that extra effort the night before.

To get started, you need to decide how you'd like to set your hair. In today's tutorial, I chose sponge rollers. They're a great option because they're relatively easy to sleep in and they breathe, so the hair dries fairly quickly. I never roll my hair wet. It takes far too long to dry and the curls are usually too tight. If I shower before I set my hair, I dry it almost completely with a hair dryer (on the cool setting) before I start to roll. After the hair is mostly dry, take sections of hair (the amount of hair will directly dictate the size of the resulting wave), spray with a setting lotion solution, and set the rollers in a halo around ear level. Keep the crown flat to achieve that signature vintage look. The setting lotion I use is Lottabody Setting Lotion, diluted with water. The entire process (with some practice) takes about 10 minutes to achieve.

If you don't want to use sponge rollers, you have several other options. You can opt for a pin curl set, a rag roller set, or you can use pillow rollers, which are actually made for sleeping comfortably. If you choose the latter type of roller however, keep in mind that the hair does not dry as quickly since the 'pillow' casing doesn't breathe well.



Next Morning:
Make Up


1.Start with a nice clean palette. I use a milky cleanser that is easy to rinse but doesn't try the skin and a good moisturizer for day time (preferably one with a sunscreen). Once you have a nice fresh palette, start your makeup application. First, apply primer (if you wear one), foundation, and concealer-making sure to blend well and take your time. This is the single most important part of your makeup and will be obvious if you rush.

2.Eyes:Fill your brows, concentrating on the arch. Stay with neutral shadows on the lids, using a touch of shimmer where you like, to help wake up the eyes. Don't forget to add white to your waterline and wing out that liner!Finish off with a good long-wearing mascara

3.Lips and Cheeks:-Rosy things up with a nice cream blush, applied sparingly to the apples of the cheeks. Set it with a peachy-pink powder blush and a finishing powder over your whole face, if you use one. Lips are a matter of taste. A muted matte shade looks nice for day time, while still retaining a retro feel.

Hair: Since you set your hair the night before, this should literally take about five minutes! Just unroll, brush, spray into place, and GO!! Once you develop your favorite setting pattern and style, you will be able to do this part with your eyes closed. If you have a little frizz or a few fly aways, finish off with a pomade, like Layrite (available here on my shop). You can add an accessory if you like but chances are, you're running late in spite of your speedy styling so get going!!




Video tutorial:


Product List:
Foundation: REVLON Colorstay in 'Buff' (for Normal/Dry Skin)
Concealer: Makeup Forever's Concealer Palette (version 1)
Primer: Senna Face Primer
Finishing Powder: BeSame' Transluscent Loose Powder
Concealer Stick: Maybelline White Concealer Stick
Eyeshadow Base: Too Faced Shadow Insurance
Eye Shadow: Sigma Eye Shadows in 'Angie' and 'Brown Sugar'
Eye Liner: Rimmell Precision Liner in 'Brown', Rimmell Khol Liner in 'White', Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in 'Trooper'
Mascara: Rimmell Sexy Curves Waterproof in 'Blackest Black'
Blush: REVLON Cream Blush in 'First Blush' and Sigma Blush in 'Some Girls'
Lipstick: Mary Kay lipstick in 'Caramel'

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohh thank you for inspireing me to get my but out of bed and get ready. I have to be to work by 7am and when I don't get to bed until about 12-1am it is a little discouraging to look my best. Ususally a pony tail wins over the battle. Now i know that I can get up and get prettified!

The Zany Housewife said...

What a great post! I'm a stay at home mom so I'm limited on time but I still want to look good. Your tutorials are so helpful because I'm a total spaz when it comes to styling my hair.

Love the blog!

Mrs. Megan said...

This is so Great! When I'm going into work it's usually always the opening shift.... AHHH 4:30a.. So I'm always looking for new ways to hurry up my routine, only for the hair I'm usually up with a pony of curls and some pin curled fringe. :).Thanks so much you're a great help,
Megan

K R I S S Y said...

I love your tutorials! I also have red hair and have been looking for a good eyebrow pencil. What is the one that you are using in this vid?

K said...

Besame makes a loose powder...? WHERE. O_O not seeing it on the website... only the compact..

anyways; agreed! a great post to inspire us to prepare ahead ;) thanks!

Unknown said...

will absolutely try this!! What brow pencil do you use? looks like it has a brush on one end which is wonderfully convenient!

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage said...

I agree, it takes me about 15-20 minutes to get ready in vintage and I wear it every single day! I'm a stay at home mom so when we have to head out, I have to get the peanut ready too. If I forgot to set me hair, I just do quick and easy victory rolls, slip on a snood, dress and cardigan, a pair of wedges, slap on some red lips and mascara and I'm out the door!

jewlover2 said...

Thanks all!
Amanda, I forgot to put the info about the brow pencil in the product list, didnt I? haha. It's an Ardell pencil I got from Sally's in 'Medium Brown'. It's a bit waxy but still one of my favorites. The Besame double ended pencil is still my favorite but it doesnt have the brush. :(

K, I guess Besame' isnt carrying the loose powder anymore?! :(

Steph said...

This was super helpful! Thanks for the tips :)

BWK Art said...

Yet another wonderful and helpful tutorial! :) Quick, simple and pretty!

Although... I think I'll skip the sponge rollers set overnight. I tried it and ended up looking like Don King. LOL! (I have very thick naturally curly hair and the sponge rollers seem to amplify it.) I find a large barrel ceramic curling iron works much better for my hair.

I *love* the makeup, and will definitely try it. Thanks so much!

Post a Comment