home about youtube links contact
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing...kissing a lot. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls."
Audrey Hepburn


Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Becoming Joan...


Has there been a more monumental case for retro fashion in recent years than the cast of Mad Men? Joan Holloway seems to be the most inspiring and influential of the bunch and it's easy to see why. Christina Hendricks' uber-curvy frame coupled with the fiery personality of the character are definitely memorable, to say the least. Also, I'm the first to jump on board when red headed dames are getting media attention...heh heh.

I have received many requests lately for this style of Joan's, her signature office up do. Since the show covers one year per season, it is no wonder that the up do has changed a bit over the course of the series. I've noticed that recently (and authentically), the style incorporates a lot more false hair than it used to, in keeping with that natural trend towards volume that was so popular as the sixties progressed. The style I chose to do for this look was one that I felt was more indicative of the earliest episodes of the show and catered to my favorite aesthetic. Also, it suits my thinner and finer hair better than something that calls for more volume. I will probably do another 'Joan' style eventually, utilizing some false hair.

Since Germany has been blocked from viewing the attached video (due to copyright disputes between GEMA and Youtube), I am including the following step by step instructions for my German audience. I'm sorry I have not been able to include some photos but I never know ahead of time which videos will be blocked from your country and lord help me, I'm not committed enough to take photos along the way, 'just in case'...haha!

First, a look at the style we're going for:


You will need:
Hot Rollers (or any kind of roller set that gives your hair large curls)
Hair Gel (flexible hold is preferable...Layrite/Hawleywood Hair Gel that I use, is available here on my store.)
HW's Grooming Spray (also available here at my store. Sorry I don't know of any successful alternative to this product)
Tre Semme' Heat Tamer Spray
A Good Brush
Hair Pins
Bobby Pins
High Hold Hair Spray
A Curling Iron (for bangs and touch ups)
Teasing (or rat tail) comb
__________________________________________
Step One: After washing hair (especially if your hair is fine)and while hair is still damp, apply some good flexible hold gel along the crown area, to assist in volume.

Step Two: Also apply a grooming spray through the towel dried hair, which assists in making the hot roller set 'take'.

Step Three: While blow drying hair, make sure to aim the top section (behind any fringe) back, using hands to add as much volume as possible and to fight against any natural part, that your hair tends towards.

Step Four: Roll the top section (crown section) back, using the smallest hot rollers in your set. Spray each section with a thermal protectant spray before hand.

Step Five: Roll the sides and back downward, using medium rollers. Allow rollers to cool completely.

Step Six: Release cooled rollers; brush hair upside down, to create that sixties volume. Don't brush too much or you'll brush the curls away.

Step Seven: Take the top section only, the section directly at the top of your head, and tease it in sections, to create that signature sixties bump (or fall). Smooth the top of the 'poof' with your fine toothed comb, push forward slightly, and pin in place using two bobby pins (kirby grips) in an x-formation.

Step Eight: Bring up one side, tease lightly, and pin in place over the two bobby pins holding the poof in place. If you have Lauren Rennells' book, 'Vintage Hairstyling' , this part will be easier. You want to pin the sides in such a way that the bobby pins are inserted into the 'bump' and barely show. This provides a uniform look.

Step Nine: Next, pull up the back of your hair, brush the underside smoothly, and twist upward into a 'french twist', pinning in place using hairpins, inserted into the twist. Leave the ends of the twist free.

Step Ten: Pin Curl the ends of the twist into as many pin curls as you like. You can make these curls as defined or soft as you like. Spray entire style well with hairspray and you're done.


_____________________________________________________

Video tutorial here:

9 comments:

Berlin Hair Baby said...

you are such a doll for posting this guide. I got SO EXCITED when I saw your video ... only to discover it was blocked in Germany :(
However, this write up was really outstanding, thank-you! I'm sure you get this all the time, but you really really remind me of Joan. Not only hair color but mannerisms too. I always think that when I watch the show.
allbest, bhb

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! Thanks! But what advice would you give those of us without bangs in trying to achieve this look?

Unknown said...

Love the style but what a shame certain countries block your wonderful videos.... perhaps you can make a DVD of all your styles - just a thought.
Beverley (UK)

jewlover2 said...

Thanks so much, BerlinHairBaby! I've heard that even some 'royalty free' music is being blocked from German audiences due to this dispute. I hope it gets ironed out soon!

Lolita, you could reserve a swatch of hair in the front, sweep it across your forehead, and pincurl the ends to the side, like in the Tinkerbell tutorial posted a few entries below? Thanks!

Sarah Miller said...

This is awesome... first time I saw Joan, I just fell in love with her curvy seductive ways... and your hair tute will definitely be on my 'to do' list for a bored rain day. Thank you :-)

Jaede said...

I did this yesterday as I had to run a few errands and put it up in no time. Hubby took one look at me and said I looked like Joan's sister, I'm blonde. He keep looking at me all evening. I think it was the change from 40's rolls. Thanks so much !

Jenna@Breathe Beauty said...

You are so talented. I love your site!

Bugg's mama said...

I am new to the pin curl thing and am LOVING it so much. Thank you for sharing your style and talent with us.

Curious.....why do you put all the hair in curlers if it is just going to be pinned up? I understand the top must be curled for volume. But what about the rest? Thank you so MUCH!

jewlover2 said...

Bugg's Mama, I actually have very fine hair so I need the volume all over. Plus, constructing french twists and pin curls w/out some curl to the hair is extra difficult!

Post a Comment